
Kristin's friend Matt from Duluth arrived in Munich a day after I did. Since Matt had never been

to Germany, let alone Europe, I thought he might like tagging along to see Nürnberg. The city is famous for its connection to the Nazis. Rallies in

1933 became propoganda events. Probably the most famous event is the Nürnberg trials where German officials involved in the Holocaust were taken in front of an international tribunal. On a much lighter and happier note, the city holds the honor of making the best Lebkuchen

(Gingerbread with pizzazz) in Germany. As a kid, my family would always receive a tin of Nürnberg lebkuchen in the mail directly from Germany. Shipping got expensive, so I decided a plane ticket was the next best thing. There are tons of Lebkuchen shops near the market square, but I found my personal favorite within the market itself. A small stand that packages their own stuff. No frills, no pretty pictures, no gimics, just yummy ginger goodness. I also learned that 'Elise' is the name for the highest quality lebkuchen--the most nuts and fruit added in. Well worth it.
Matt and I got off the train with no map and a guess at where the middle of town was. Considering all that, we managed to see the castle, the Geistspital

, the market, 2 major churches, the romantic center, the shopping lane, and lots of little cafes.
That picture with the town connected to the wall has to be the coolest apartment building ever! There were 5 apartments that I can only assume had views over the city from the other side. For the most part it was overcast and even started raining as we jumped on the train. But we did get some sunny moments.
0 Comments:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
<< Home