Another Page in History

Dienstag, Januar 01, 2008

Silvester-New Year's


New Year's eve....always a good time in Europe. Tons of people show up on the streets at the countdown to set off fireworks, sing, dance and drink champagne. We went to Christoph's friend's brother's apt for dinner. Got all that? There was honey sesame fish (interesting combo, but it works), a noodle dish with steak from the wok, and tons of wine and Cuba Libres.

So at this point I am still sick, but at least now I figured out what is wrong and I know that I need antibiotics. I was in luck because at this dinner party were at least 5 doctors. With the help of the friend's brother, I was able to get this on new year's eve in Germany. No easy task since everything was closed around 2pm. About 11pm we leave the apt briefly to find the overnight pharmacy in the neighborhood. We drive up on the sidewalk, where there is a completely closed down building except for a small window in the metal window shade. Picture a dark alley where a guy named Spike has asked you for a password to enter. Ok, a bit more brighter and less scary, although the woman really didn't want to be working that night. Anyway he comes back to the car with the antibiotics and we are off. The whole thing was about the price of a co-pay in the US. Slick, huh?

So back to the party. We arrive to find them all playing the game where you have to guess the name of the person or character which is pasted on your forehead. I fail miserably at guessing that I am Harry Potter. But I was saved by the countdown so we ran into the streets with sparklers. By the time we arrive, people have gathered at the corner of two streets were someone has brought speakers in the back of their van. The craziest music was played. People waltzed to the Blue Danube, formed a conga line to a Polonaise, and just shook it for some odd Russian song. It was fun.

Back to the apartment for some crazy-expensive cheese fondue, but wow was it good. One package with herbs and the other with Champagne and truffles. So yummy!

New Year's day I slept in a bit and am feeling much better today. We took a few sleds and drove up into the black forest a bit near St. Maergen to test the slopes. We tried all sorts of different routes and found the cutest little mouse on the hill. It tried to hide in the snow from us, but couldn't break through the icy layer. So we watched it try to run and every little footprint was this huge obstacle for it. So cute!

Welcome to 2008 everyone! Hope you had a good new year's eve.