My old stomping grounds

This is the 4th day back in my the city of Freiburg where I spent much of my time last year. It feels great to be back and seeing my friends again. Funny how the time goes by so quickly. It has been almost 6 months, but when you see good friends again, it is as if I never left.
On Monday I took a train from München to Freiburg with stop in Karlsruhe to see a friend. He didn't have much time because of studying, but one hour was better than nothing. (Bene, thanks for taking the time to see me!)
Not much has changed here. They have added a Subway next to the McDonalds. Next on the list...Pizza Hut? Winter is a bit chilly this time of year and I am happy to have a good jacket with. Not as bad as MN however. I walked into O'Kellys Irish Pub and shocked many of the people there. They had no idea I was returning to the city--not even my former boss knew. Tonight a bunch of us from the pub and going out to another Irish Pub for Karaoke night. I might need a Guiness or two before I jump up on stage.
I am staying with a friend of mine from Malteser (where I had the ambulance internship). Christoph's family lives in a small town nearby called Glottertal. His family is very nice and there is never a dull moment in the house. The other night we all sat around the Christmas tree to watch the candles burn for the last time before the decorations were packed away until next year. Their Christmas tree is still the traditional German style with real candles as well as mini lights.
Christoph's bday was on the 10th, so the day was spent with friends and family. About 10 of us had lunch up on Lorettoberg at the Schloss Cafe. It was always just outside my apartment door, but this was the first time I was actually at the restaurant. Good food and great atmosphere. Then we met up with another girl who used to work at Malteser. Later in the evening all of us were back at the house and had a very yummy Käsefondue dinner.
Yesterday Christoph was at work or school most of the day so I planned to see a bunch of friends. Worked out perfectly that they all were free at different times of the day, but by the end of the day I didn't want to go out for coffee again. I met up with Klara from Malteser in the morning, my old roomate Birgit just after lunchtime, and my friend Ria, from OKellys, after that. For lunch Christoph met up with me again and we grabbed a Wurst at the outside market and then walked up the Münster steeple to look at Freiburg from up high. At night Christoph, and his old roomate Dominik and I went to an Arabic restaurant for dinner and tea. It is so much fun to see those two interact. I may not always understand the inside jokes, but I love hanging out with them. Those two are always quoting from some movie or show. I proud to be responsible for all the Family Guy quotes. I sent Christoph a DVD full of FG and it is slowly being passed around Germany through his friends. The Germans who have never seen it in English just don't know what they are missing.
Today was just a day for bumming around the city. Did some shopping with Dominik and for once the situation was reversed. He was shopping and I was tagging along. I did find one shirt that i like, but the quality just wasn't there for the price tag it carried. Tonight will be my last one here before heading back to München. Sad to be leaving. Mostly because I am leaving my friends again for an unknown amount of time, but also because that means that Uni starts again soon. Till next time....

0 Comments:
Kommentar veröffentlichen
<< Home