Another Page in History

Donnerstag, Dezember 29, 2005

First Days

It felt great to back in Deutschland again. From the moment I stepped off the plane, the smells and sounds brought back good memories. It felt good to be 'home' again. Once in the city, I realized how much I missed being here. The Christmas decorations are still up, and the atmosphere is like nothing in Minneapolis. At Karlsplatz, they have a skating rink with lights and music for everyone to use. As Susanne said, 'about 10 people skate and 100 watch.' With a Wurst stand on one side and Glühwein on the other, it is the perfect place to hangout and talk with friends while being entertained by the skaters. For some it was probably their first time on the ice. The cutest were the little kids hanging on to the Eisbären (Polar bears) designed as support for beginners.

Just as I had always done while shopping, I started with a Wurst for energy and made my way through the stores in the Fussgängerzone (Pedestrianzone). Of course I had to stop at the Drogerie and try on a new Perfume for fun. Best way to try expensive perfume for free. I had luck my first day already and got some great after Christmas deals. In the US, I have a hard time shopping for more than 1 hour (with the exception of REI), but in Europe I can wander the store for hours. I have to admit that winter is not the best time to visit--gets cold fast when you walk everywhere. Because Susanne lives so close to the site of Oktoberfest, I thought I would wander through. It is SO different without all the tents and amusement park rides. Hard to imagine that the big empty field can get so full during Oktoberfest. They have some tents up for the big Silvester party on the 31st, but I don' t think Kristin and I will be going there. Too expensive and probably not worth it for just two people.

For dinner I visited a Hungarian relative in the city whom I had not seen for a while. Kristin, her boyfriend Phil and I went out for drinks later that night. And this morning I said goodbye to Susanne for now and moved into Kristin's apt. Kristin's mom had been in town earlier, which is why I did not stay with her from the start.

Tomorrow more shopping and Kaffee trinken. The Kuchen is great here. Man i miss that. You really can't chose a bad one in the Cafe.