Another Page in History

Freitag, Januar 20, 2006

Jet Lag Free!

My last full day in Muenchen I spent resting, packing, and looking around the Deutsches Museum. Very interesting place--could have spent much more than 2.5 hours there. But I will save that for another trip...

I returned to the US on Monday without too many delays or problems with the flight. The worst part about traveling alone has got to be that time spent in transit. From the time you pick up your suitcases and start traveling to the time you actually arrive. It can get so boring sitting around in the aiport. There is always that nightmare traveler that makes your overseas trip just a little more annoying. This trip, I think it was me. One way I avoid jet lag is drink a LOT of water so I am not dehydrated. But I also have to sit at the window so that I can sleep. I think I had to get out of my seat at least every 3 hours. On top of asking the guy to move more than a few times, I kept accidentally turning on the attendant call light. It was very poorly placed right at my elbow on the armrest and they came by enough to make me embarrased. By the end of the Muenchen-Atlanta flight, I am sure the guy next to me was more than happy to get off of the plane.

I arrived home with enough time to have dinner with my parents and next door neighbors before unpacking and going to bed. Class was supposed to be at 9am the next day. Of course I was late...but not because I overslept. I shelled out over $200 for books this semester-a high amount for only 6 credits. I made it to Physics class only 5 minutes late only to find out that it was calculus based and I thought I was in the wrong class. So instead of sitting there for an hour, I left to check the schedule on the computer. Sure enough, it was the correct physics course designed for pre-medical students. Oh well. Probably for the best because I slowly realized that it would be a waste of study time to sit in on lectures as a study method for the MCAT. I came to this realization when the professor in a different physics course used Star Trek as an example for calculating the volume of water the bay of the Starship Enterprise could hold. 'Of course' he was referring to the 4th movie where they need to beam humpbacked whales on board in order to save the species... He did NOT help the stereotype of geeky scientists.

In my attempt to learn Spanish again, I have started to create a new vocabulary. Yesterday I wanted to write the word library for a Spanish assignment. So I took the German word 'Bibliothek' and added an 'a' at the end. That's Spanish, right? Close, but not quite. In addition, I have already been an example poor sentence construction in class. Instead of saying I eat dinner with my friends, I forgot the word 'con' and ended up saying that I eat my friends for dinner. Well done. They all got a laugh out of that one. I can assure you, I will not forget that in the future.

Tomorrow is my first practice MCAT. Starts at 9am sharp, so I need to get some sleep. While cleaning off my desk today I found a very insightful Fortune Cookie fortune that I got just before I bought my ticket for this trip to Germany. It said, "You need a new environment. Go on a vacation." Can't argue with a fortune cookie, right? I had a great time with my friends and hope you all enjoyed reading the commentary. I will continue blogging while in the US, so check the site once in a while. 'Til Next Time!