Another Page in History

Sonntag, Juli 30, 2006

Sun, Sand and Nightlife

Well, back again. My plane trip was uneventful. A 6 hour lay-over in Toronto is about 5.5 hours too much. I have seen almost every inch of the terminal except for some exclusive bar located on the upper floor. It was like an island of glass windows on all sides and comfortable chairs where one could justify paying way too much for a coffee just to sit there. Maybe on my return I will find the entrance. Like always, I got no sleep on the flight over. Although I did manage to have my eyes shut for 5 hours. The first night I stayed with Susanne again, my couch surfing friend I met in Jan. After running a couple errands, to get the much desired snacks like Milch-Schnitte, Haribo, good bread and cheese, I needed to sleep. 3 hours later I woke up and started helping Susanne and her roomate with prep for a grillparty that night. The party was a lot of fun and a handful of us stayed up until 4am. Zufällig I ended up meeting a friend of theirs who is traveling to Minnesota for a medical school rotation. "Some place called Minneapolis" according to him. So we swapped email and will be meeting up in Mpls. It will be nice to speak German with someone at home. After seeing Kristin again, I realize how much her German has improved over the past year. I am lucky to keep mine at the same level (and not lose fluency) with all my trips back here. At the moment I am just hanging out at her apt waiting for my flight to Athens. Christos and Kristin flew at 9am already. Since I paid so much to fly over to Europe, I couldn't afford the extra 75€ it would have cost me to fly on their flight. This is the first trip where I really have nothing planned. Christos is showing us his country and I think he knows best where to go and what to see. Kind of exciting not knowing what to expect.